Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Great Wait


I know a million quotes about patience...well nearly. I remember as a teenager memorizing a verse in the Bible about developing patience, and thinking "Yeah...like that's ever going to happen". David will attest to the fact that somedays I can be especially impatient..most noticeably when I want something to get done. And of course, I wonder somedays when I am tapping my toes and barking a bit at the kids, if after all these years, God has really done any of that wonderful development He promised.

The biggest test of my patience hasn't had anything to do with queues, or bad traffic or slow checkers at the grocery store. They don't really bug me at all. What has shown itself to be the most difficult test of my patience has been waiting on God. Am I the only one who feels this way?

There are no real chance "co-incidences" in life. I have always believed that. Then, perhaps I'm being encouraged by the Holy Spirit as I keep coming across messages from His Word about waiting. The story of Esther is a perfect example. We studied a portion at a ladies Bible study last week...and this week our Pastor spoke about just that as well. And during my quiet time this week? A simple message, as if God whispered it in my ear... "If you want to hear me, come close to me".

Our "adventure" to South Africa has, for me, been all about following God's prompting in my life. And I thought that by making the big decisions in coming, that the other pieces would unveil themselves in perfect timing (okay, admittedly, MY perfect timing). I have been so busy looking about me, wondering WHAT coming here has been all about, that I have neglected the relationship that is most important. It's not about the WHAT of this chapter of my life...it's about the WHO - WHO is the one that I long to know more than anything on earth? WHO is the one that I long to share with those around me? WHO is the one who motivates me, inspires me and gives me the strength and endurance I need? If I neglect this relationship, even by portioning my attention, then HOW ON EARTH am I supposed to know WHERE He wants me to go? Or WHAT He wants me to do?

1 comment:

InkyFingers said...

Wow! I think you can take to "write" off your list of things you want to do, it looks like you're doing a pretty good job of it to me.