Tuesday, September 4, 2007

In the Land of Language!

Would you believe that in South Africa there are 11 official languages??? The national anthem alone features 5 of them. Stroll along the streets and a cacophony of sounds reaches your ears.

I have unconsciously adopted a coping mechanism... tuning out. It all started when we lived on the 24th floor of a very large apartment building. It never failed that I would be in the lift with three elderly ladies (tantetjie) who were bubbling along in Afrikaans. A polite smile, then eyes averted to watch the ascending numbers above the door. A long pause in the conversation was my signal that they had been including me in their conversation without my knowing. Then would come the apology and explanation that I was an American, and did not know their language.

Then there are those sweet smiling, twinkling eyed grocery store clerks. A polite greeting from them in English, then a long conversation with the person packing the groceries into bags. I just know they are commenting on the contents of my shopping trolley..or the behavior of my children, or perhaps the odd way I am looking at them while I try to figure out whatever it is that they are saying.

Enter into my life one very lovely Afrikaans speaking Ndebele woman named Joanna. She has swept into my life to try to help me keep my head above water while we start our business. Having this sweet woman attempting to help me, while trying to overcome an enormous language barrier has proved to be at once, challenging and entertaining. Full of stories and comments about life, she has so much to share. I am learning new Afrikaans words daily - and with an immense amount of hand gestures and multiple responses of "what does that mean?" I might just find myself a bit better off than I was a month ago.

It is with this huge barrier looming over me, that I am at last fulfilling one of my "things to do before I die" - I'm taking Zulu classes!! A dear man named Agrippa volunteers his time at the local library on a Wednesday to teach others like me to learn the language of his people.

So let me say to you Sawubona! (greeting translated literally as "I see you!") Unjani! (how are you?)

My deep need to communicate with those around me, whether the Afrikaans lady across the street who runs from me when she sees me appear at the gate because she's afraid to speak to me, my lovely helper Joanna or the homeless people I hand clothes to on a Friday.. has forced this 40 year old woman to step out of her comfort zone, provide some laughs and smiles from those I practice my new vocabulary on, and hopefully break down some of the barriers that I see around me. So for now.... let me say "Salani kahle" (Stay well) and "iNkosi busisa" (God bless)

No comments: