Saturday, October 11, 2008

Soaking it all in

My mom occasionally used sponges in her kitchen when I was growing up. Every now and again they would dry out and be as tough and unbendable as a brick. In fact, I'm sure I used one as a weapon against my poor brother more than once.

But once that old nasty dry sponge touched water, they would spring to life. Soft, Supple and Useful.

I occasionally find myself feeling rather dry. With this dryness comes a rather dull outlook on life. Nothing is as wonderful as it once was, and life is bland. I begin to long for something to revive me and to bring colour back into what has been fading into sepia colours.

How blessed I was to be invited to Germany with David for a 5th year anniversary of our plastic card printer supplier, Digital Identification Solution. David is not a big traveller, and he doesn't share my lust for adventure, but just the thought of seeing a place I'd never been was enough to
get my feet itching to go.

It was 5 days of interesting people, new landscapes (so much like back home in Oregon!), ancient buildings and stories from hundreds of years ago!



I felt like a kid in an amusement park - all wide eyed and in wonder. The people, who were from all over the world, were open and interesting to talk to; the land was lush and green, the air crisp and cold; the rich history of the places we visited gave me such a sense of smallness - realizing that so much has happened before us - things that were so monumental - and yet time just carried on - and there are now only stories and relics to remember it by.

It was enough to recharge my adventure batteries, and even David remarked that if "this" was traveling then he rather enjoyed it!

No more a dry brick, I'm now ready to do and be all that I need to do and be!

No comments: