Thursday, June 14, 2007

Switch?


Have you ever sat and really pondered your place in life? "What if I had been born to parents in a small village in Uganda" or "Who would I be if I had grown up with celebrity parents in the hills of Hollywood" or "what if I were another race?" . Life would be so very different... values, circumstances and even character would be so very differently defined. Perhaps spending time thinking about these things is not something completely fruitless. Perhaps wondering about a completely different life other than the one we have been given can really help us to have compassion and understanding for others in different circumstances than our own..and it can give us a different perspective on our current circumstances.


Living here in South Africa has really made me see just how amazing people are. Situations that I might have considered insurmountable when I was living in the comfort of my home in Oregon, I now realize are part of daily life for some whom I come into contact with every day. And things that I have taken for granted are unheard of in their lives.


Just this last couple days, we had a massive power outage. A substation not too far away burned, and predictions of 10 days of no electricity loomed infront of us.* My first instinct was to wonder how on earth we would cope. Without even the luxury of a camp stove, and the dependence our business has on the internet I wasn't sure how we would carry on. Then the sobering realization that much of the population outside of our little "neighborhood" live without reliable power, indoor plumbing or any sort of heating. Children with whom my children attend school don't all have the luxury of lights at night, or a security system that will ensure a peaceful sleep. Yet, they carry on, smiles on their faces and heads held up high, grateful for what they do have.


It's with a very grateful heart that I can thank God that He has given us the ability to cope, adjust and even have victory over our circumstances, be they physical, emotional or spiritual.


In my minds eye, I see the faces of people I have spoken with over the last few years - people of very different lifestyles, backgrounds and circumstances. Angel, in New York City, who found Christ and wanted to end his homeless journey and return to his family.. Promise, from Adams Mission, South Africa, who became a beloved friend and helper, and has experienced more death and grief than anyone I have ever known.. a nameless couple who have appeared at our church in the last few weeks, hungry for food, some friendliness and most likely some hope. I am thankful to have known them, to have learned from them.


It's a dangerous thing for those on the outside to "look in" on those of differing lifestyles and circumstances. Pity for those who don't have, and "compensational guilt" for what we do have can make us seem condescending and "holier than thou". I pray that God will keep me real.. and keep me humble...that I will give out of Christ's love, not out of guilt or pity...that I will be transparent and genuine... and that I will be allowed the privilege of being able to come alongside some of these amazing people I see and be a part of their lives.
(* note: we only had to endure two days of "powerlessness", due to the close proximity of a large mall and major highway junctions. I guess we fell into a "priority" area, and we feel blessed to have lights and a computer today. Our neighbors and family members just east of us have not been so fortunate, and are facing those dreaded 10 days without power.)











1 comment:

InkyFingers said...

Glad you got your power back, and I really appreciate your posts and introspection.