Saturday, July 7, 2007

Can Do!

I have a confession....
I am a DIY Addict.

There is just something very exciting about starting out with a dumpy broken object, and fixing it up into something usable and beautiful.

Now, I didn't say I was a DIY Expert. This translates into.... I like the IDEA, and even the process...but the end result is often disappointing. I have great vision and dream... I can plan and organize and gather supplies...but when it comes to properly accomplishing my plan, I tend to muddle it up somehow. However, I tell my husband that this is when my artistic side steps in, because a little button here, a painted design there and before you know it, you can't see ANY of my mistakes!




I am even addicted to DIY TV. In fact, this probably feeds my fantasy that "I could do that!". David backs away cautiously when I switch on my favorite Saturday shows, because he knows that undoubtedly, I will walk into the room and announce my latest and greatest idea. (After 20 years, he's learned that if he responds correctly, the moment will pass, and he will be safe from my enthusiastic outburst).


It's a serious problem.


What is it about people that makes them think they have to "do it yourself"?

How many people do you know who have tried and tried to make themselves better, or to do some type of service and have fallen flat...exhausted, burned out and bitter at the end?

In the Bible (Psalm 127) addresses this issue:

"Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.

In vain you rise early and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat

— for he grants sleep to those he loves."


How many times have I attempted something in my own strength, based on my own dream, and in the end, seen it collapse for no apparent reason?

One of my favorite writers is Oswald Chambers. His insight into the truths of Scriptures really strikes home. In one of his articles, he talks about a Christian's tendancy to react on impulse rather than following a lifestyle of surrender to Christ.

".... Paul said, according to the Moffatt translation of this verse, “… I take every project prisoner to make it obey Christ … .” So much Christian work today has never been disciplined, but has simply come into being by impulse! In our Lord’s life every project was disciplined to the will of His Father. There was never the slightest tendency to follow the impulse of His own will as distinct from His Father’s will—“the Son can do nothing of Himself …” (John 5:19). Then compare this with what we do—we take “every thought” or project that comes to us by impulse and jump into action immediately, instead of imprisoning and disciplining ourselves to obey Christ.
Practical work for Christians is greatly overemphasized today, and the saints who are “bringing every thought [and project] into captivity” are criticized and told that they are not determined, and that they lack zeal for God or zeal for the souls of others. But true determination and zeal are found in obeying God, not in the inclination to serve Him that arises from our own undisciplined human nature. It is inconceivable, but true nevertheless, that saints are not “bringing every thought [and project] into captivity,” but are simply doing work for God that has been instigated by their own human nature, and has not been made spiritual through determined discipline."




This has really been a good lesson for me...I am an emotionally driven person and tend to launch off into things based on impulse, instead of taking the time to really see what God was doing, how He was working and how He has placed me. This is the discipline. And it takes KNOWING GOD, spending time with Him, talking with Him, searching out His Character in His Word. And this is discipline as well. But not discipline for discipline's sake (because that leads me right back down that DIY path!), but it is discipline for the sake of relationship with my Lord. Just as I spent time talking to David and watching how he worked and reacted to life situations in order to know him when we were dating (spurred on my love for him), I do the same with God.



No more DIY projects for me....at least in the spiritual realm. The hammer and nails and measuring tape of life are still needed, but I'm going to let God draw the plans, and manage the job. I'll just do my best to swing that hammer.

No comments: