Monday, November 5, 2007

At A Loss

I have been struggling today trying to decide how I would write my update for this week. It's almost as if I am treading on some sacred ground, and I fear somehow sullying it by writing about it.



I think there are somethings in life so personal, so moving, so tender -in a painful way - that to speak them out somehow diminishes the intensity of the issue.



I had such a wonderful hour this Saturday just talking with my "students" - they have decided that our group is "school" and they take great joy in telling their neighbors that they are going to school.



Louisa is definitely the "mama" of the group. She understands my English (which some English people here battle with), she translates to Ellen, who is younger and doesn't have as wide a vocabulary as the others, and she helps the others to explain things to me.



We were talking about expectations. I tried to tell them why I wanted to teach them these skills, what my motivation was. I wanted them to know that while they were always welcome in our church, there was no requirement for them to attend in order to come to the classes. I also wanted them to know that I wasn't trying to manipulate them or use them in anyway.



In turn, they explained to me how they felt that God had singled them out from all the other ladies, and had brought them to this outreach. They feel that God has shown them that He is caring for them and is with them, even though their lives are so hard. I am in awe of the Holy Spirit, who so obviously is speaking to these ladies hearts without my having uttered a word.



Jehovah Jirah- God who Provides.



All three of these ladies are from Zimbabwe. You would have to be living in a box to not know that this country has fallen to pieces. There is no food to be found, no work and what they have for shelter is being destroyed by the leader of the country, for his own purposes. These three ladies, and the dozens more who are in our town, are here because they can get food and send it back home to their families. In addition to the babies they carry on their backs, they each have 2-3 children at home - two of the families have no adults living with them. When I asked Louisa if she found it so hard to be away from them, she said to me that it was very hard, but that if she wasn't here, they would starve. She has had to make a choice that no mother ever wants to make.



I know that I am probably sounding melodramatic, and I in no way am trying to simply bring tears to your eyes. But my purpose in sharing their stories, which I do with their permission, is to show you how you can pray. This is the most important thing these ladies need. They need to know that God is with them and their children, that He will give them strength and courage. That He will give them hope beyond their circumstances.



Our classes begin next week. We will be working two days a week until December, when we will have our first "market". I am going to host a Christmas open house tea of sorts - complete with decorations, music and of course everything we are able to make before then. Could you please pray for this event? That it will be a good kick off to what will be a great year ahead and that my new friends will be encouraged and have a sense of accomplishment for having a job well done.

No comments: