Sunday, November 4, 2007

Being Misunderstood


The definition of the word misunderstand is:


Misunderstand \Mis*un`der*stand"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p.
p. pr. & vb. n. Misunderstanding.]
To misconceive; to mistake; to miscomprehend; to take in a
wrong sense.


I've been thinking about this word today. It started with a post
I had made on a card making message board introducing myself. I
had asked for ideas for our little group of ladies who will be
learning how to make cards..



The next morning I was surprised to find a note in my email box
saying that my post had been deleted because it appeared to solicit
donations. Being wrongly accused of something created some rather
strong feelings in me. Now, I understand that these message boards
have to be careful, but it was so clearly a case of misunderstanding.
My intentions were not at all what the moderator had taken them
to be.



On Friday, I had invited another lady from the "robots" to come to
the soupkitchento get some soup and bread for her and her little one.
She joined the group of ladies a little late, and was really quite
peeved with me when she realized that all she was getting was soup
and bread. This was someone I had thought perhaps might be a good
candidate to join our crafting group, but it soon became clear that
she and I had a misunderstanding. She had an expectation that I could
not fulfill at that time.

Today, I met with Louisa, Ellen and Sholasti about our craft classes.
We sat for over an hour talking about their lives, their families,
the things that they deal with on a daily basis. The stories would break
your heart. But I thought again about this word- misunderstanding.
One of the definitions is to to miscomprehend.

By all outward appearances, these three ladies are beggers - shunned
and looked down upon by most of those around here. One could easily
miscomprehend who they are as people.It only took a short while to see
that they are smart ladies, eager to learn,not showing any sense of
entitlement or even a typical mentality that those who have must give
to those who don't. They have been misunderstood.



It's a good reminder that we cannot judge by outward appearance
and circumstance.And we cannot limit our actions because of
miscomprehensions or misunderstandings we might have of others.



Jesus was certainly the perfect example of one who didn't allow
common perceptions to alter the way He treated others. He dined
with tax collectors, touched lepers,and had common fishermen for friends.
I pray that God will give me grace for others,as He has given me,
an imperfect sinner, that same grace.

No comments: