Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Disagreement with Webster

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to talk...alot. Get me going and look out! It was the one consistent comment on my report cards as a child "Carla speaks too much in class" "Carla likes to talk too much" "Carla is a very social child". This is why I thought the title "Babbling along" would be a good one for my blog spot...that is until I looked up the definition for "babbling"...

bab·ble
v. bab·bled, bab·bling, bab·bles
v.intr.
1. To utter a meaningless confusion of words or sounds: Babies babble before they can talk.
2. To talk foolishly or idly; chatter: "In 1977 [he] was thought of as crazy because he was babbling about supply side" Newt Gingrich.
3. To make a continuous low, murmuring sound, as flowing water.


Hmmm.... I had always pictured "babbling" as being a happy, if somewhat over-exhuberant expression. At least I much prefer aligning myself with that sort of behavior, rather than some meaningless, indistinct murmur.

Then I found this quote from Jack London's Sea Wolf.

"That is all, the drunkenness of life, the stirring and crawling of the yeast, the babbling of the life that is insane with consciousness that it is alive."

Now that is more like it! Here is what I am about.. this deep seated excitement... a sense of almost giddiness when I realize that life, complete with hills and valleys, is such a great gift. And I'm not just an observer but I have purpose and meaning. It's not just some cosmic chance that has put me here, in this place, at this time... but a Grand Design, ordered and organized and created by the God of the Universe. He has allowed me the chance to have a part in it. How fabulous is that?

To further quote Jack London's book

"... It is the bribe for living, the champagne of the blood, the effervescence of the ferment" - it is what makes my life bubble...or babble if you please.



















1 comment:

InkyFingers said...

Maybe you should go to wikepedia and write your own defination?! When I first started writing this I recalled how you always had to have the last word.... always! and I said always.... that's the last word... hehe